Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pure Joy

All Laughs and Smiles


When I signed up to teach English here in Spain, I requested to work in an elementary school. And here I am teaching in a primary school, but what I had not anticipated was spending most of my 12 hours working with the 4, 5 and 6 year olds. I never anticipated coming to Spain to ‘teach’ English, would require teaching the numbers 1-10, the names of colors and singing songs.

But here I am working 9 hours with los niƱos and loving it! Every Monday when I arrive to work with Marilola, it never ceases to amaze me what she will ask me to do. She will say (in Spanish), ‘Ok, today I want you to teach them ‘sad,’ ‘mad,’ and 'happy'. Do you know any songs or games?’ So I’m usually given 2.3 seconds to ponder of what I’m going to do and then it’s go time.

I work with three 4 year old classes, three 5 year old classes and three 1st grade classes. I have been asked to sing ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes,' 'Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, Turn Around,' 'If You’re Happy and You Know It,' 'The Itzy Bitsy Spider,' 'Simon Says' and a slue of others, until I become blue in the face! When I get home, my roommates are always so stoked to hear the new song I had to repeat like a broken record. Haha NOT. The song usually gets sung and then it’s followed with, ‘OMG, I could never do what you do.’ (Basically I make fun of myself all day long.)

I however would not change any of this for the world. The children are learning the proper 'American' pronunciation of sounds and words at a young age, which helps build a solid foundation of the language. English is being taught and learned in a very fun and playful environment. The students are so precious and have the kindest of hearts. They are always filled with so much energy and have the want and drive to learn. They say everything how they see it and laugh at my silly gestures. (I swear I should become an actress sometimes.) They always greet me with the biggest smiles and hugs and will yell from across the playground just to wave at me.

Last week the 5 year olds were learning about the Native Americans and after remembering that I am from America, a little boy asked (in Spanish) ‘Do you live in a teepe?’ Who could not love such innocence?

Typical

Singing '10 Little Pumpkins' with the 1st grade bilingual class

Teaching 'ghosts' to the 4 year olds (BOO)

Marilola (Infantile Teacher) and I

Can you guess what I'm teaching? (Mad)

Coloring with Infants 4B

No comments:

Post a Comment