Sunday, April 18, 2010

3 Bushways in Jaèn




In the middle of their recent European travels, my wonderful parents squeezed a trip to come see me here in Jaèn. The agenda: give me lots of hugs and kisses, see the city I call home, meet my Spanish and American friends, and make a visit to the school I work at.

Monday morning arrived and my parents picked me up in their swanky BMW rental car and drove me to school, just like old times. As soon as we stepped foot on to campus, they experienced the head turning effect and stares. Who are those ‘young’ people walking with Jenna?! They can’t be her parents…they look so young! (Mama and Papa Bushway have never felt so good!) The first grade bilingual class, was our first stop of the day. As I took the reigns and began teaching about water, leave it to my dad to take a seat in the back of the class and pretend to be a first grader. All my students laughed and giggled, wondering WHO, was this man in the back of their class. Thanks dad...they already think I’m crazy, so they now understand where I get it from!!

Next, we made our way into one of the 4 year old classes. Mari Lola cleared her lesson plans and let me introduce the kids to my parents. And boy did they meet Mom and Dad. Little did Mari Lola know, that singing and dancing, is what we Bushways live for. I had my students perform our whole repertoire of songs with my parents. The three of us stood in front of the class and we chanted, sang, and acted out, ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes,’ ‘If you’re Happy and You Know it,’ ‘Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear Turn Around,’ and a couple others. I don’t think Mari Lola and the students knew quite the level of talent we Bushways got! My co-workers and students all enjoyed meeting my parents. My dad left telling a couple of my co-workers ‘to continue to look and care after me.’ I think they felt the love I receive and have at Serrano de Haro.

It was such a nice feeling to share a little of the city and culture that has captivated my heart with my parents. It was even better to give them both long awaited hugs and kisses and to just sit face to face and talk over delicious tapas and wine. In an email my dad sent as they sat ready to board the plane to Paris he said, ‘I loved your city and best of all you. Nothing is more beautiful than you.’

I love you both dearly. <3



Can you find the new first grader?


No comments:

Post a Comment