Thursday, October 22, 2009

My New Blue Swanky Shoes



Feria erupted last week in Jaen and there was no better way for me to break in my dancing shoes than with this local festival! Jaen welcomed me with open arms and provided me with numerous dance floors to strut my stuff. ‘Tonight is gonna be a good night,’ was a favorite to shake to and a week long theme for these ‘Jienneses’ folk. Feria brought this city and people from the neighboring pueblos together for one week of mayhem. Feria is basically a cross between the finest county fair and the night life and clubs in Las Vegas. Like a typical fair, there was no shortage of the deep-fried foods and carnival rides but in accordance with typical Spanish style, came the 60 plus large white tents that held all the dance parties. You could find these make-shift discos hoppin’ day, night and into the wee hours of the morning.

I finally made it down to Feria towards the end of the week and joined Lindsey’s school for some drinks and desserts one afternoon. While we were finishing up dessert, to my surprise, in walked teachers from my school into the SAME tent! I was graciously greeted by my principal and ushered over to join in their dance circle. Before I knew it, I was pushed into the center, surrounded by co-workers and was dancing the ‘Sevillanas’. I followed the lead of one of my co-workers and before I knew it, I was dancing like the pro I am! Afterwards, I mingled with co-workers and it felt as though I had initiated into that sorority I never joined back in college. I definitely bonded that afternoon with the teachers from my school and I felt a sense of belonging from this ‘dance fever’ moment. This was something I definitely had been looking for.

I took advantage of my cities treasured fair the rest of the weekend. I enjoyed the stuffed churro with chocolate, as well as riding in the bumper cars. Like most things in Spain, these bummer cars were a little wilder than the ones we know! The bummer cars drove faster, which only led to some serious whip lashes. As Kelsey and I dodged, but also loved ramming into other people, the bumps were always followed by laughs and smiles!
When I wasn’t taking a part of the fair, I enjoyed sippin’ on a cup of joe and observing the elaborate wardrobe of flamenco dresses and the masses of people that filled the streets. This cities rich spirit and love for Jaen, has made me fall in love even more.

The call of fireworks that signaled the end to an awesome week of Feria will live with me. We live across the street from where some of the mayhem took place and Sunday night as we sat in our living room, we listened to what we thought were ‘bombs.’ As we stood on our balcony and looked above our building, we realized these were not actually ‘bombs,’ but indeed fireworks. Lindsey and I quickly changed out of our pj’s and ran outside to witness this spectacle. As we stood in the middle of Avenida Granada, staring into the sky, I couldn’t help but watch my neighbors all cheering and clapping to the end of a great week. Feria was the perfect way for me to break in my dancing shoes. The bell has been rung and Jaen knows that I am here to stay for the next 8 months. Bienvenidos a mi!

No comments:

Post a Comment