Saturday, October 24, 2009

These Rainbows Were Made For Walking




Walking has become apart of my daily routine since there is no need for me to have a car in this country. In typical Cali foot wear fashion, I sport my rainbows rain or shine. This drives the Spaniards into states of confusion. Spaniards consider sandals to be ‘beach wear’ and therefore give me the most obscure looks when they see my open toes walking towards them. Not as if I needed to give them another reason to stare. I mean, I stand out enough because I am an AmeriCAN.

Last week the weather in Jaen cooled down for the first time and it’s starting to feel like fall. The Spaniards climbed deep into their closets and are now sporting their big jackets, scarves and boots. I reached, not so deep into my slim pickins’ of clothes and wear jeans and maybe a light jacket. I continue to wear my rainbows because they are the most comfortable shoes in the world and uhh it’s not snowing? This past week at my school, almost every teacher thought I was nuts for wearing sandals. They would all say, ‘Hello’ and then they followed up with, ‘Aren’t your feet cold?’ Or if I wasn’t wearing my jacket because I had just speed walked 30 minutes to school, they gave me the cocked-sideways head, confused look. Without having to say much I responded with a simple ‘No, I’m not cold.’ I use the excuse that I am an AmeriCAN and from California. That stops any further questions!

The mileage on my rainbows continues to soar from the massive amount of walking I do. I walk 30 minutes to and from school, equaling about 2 miles each way. I also walk 30 minutes to and from the University de Jaen twice a week, also equaling 2 miles each way. Last Wednesday, I walked to and from school, dance classes and my Spanish classes. Adding an additional 10 miles to my 'pride and joy' rainbows! Most people in Jaen own a car so I also receive the cocked-confused look when I mention I live a 30 minute walk from school. It is difficult for them to fathom walking that much. But honestly, I don’t mind. The walking is great exercise and what else would I be doing? I only work 12 hours a week! I am thanking Jaen for being one giant hill. I am going to have the best butt and legs! Even though wearing sandals is not customary in Jaen, I will continue to master the art of chancla (sandal) wearing. I will exchange the confused stares for the comfort and love I have for my rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment