Thursday, May 13, 2010

El Rio Nuevo

'The River'
By: Garth Brooks

You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores...and

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide...


A year ago, I took the chance of the rapids and made the decision to teach and live abroad in Spain. Over the past 9 months, I have indeed dared and danced the tides, which has inspired a new feed into my river. Since I was in fourth grade, I have followed my dream and my passion to teach, and that is what dropped me off on the shores of Jaén. I have never been one to ‘stand aside and let the waters slip away,’ thus I will continue along my vessel, this time having it steer me back to the Pacific coast of California. I will be returning to the California shoreline and I look forward to utilizing my multicultural experiences and my Spanish language skills to challenge a new rapid. My river is truly ‘ever changing,’ and when I return in 5 weeks, I look forward to taking the necessary measures that will allow me to share my love for the Spanish language in the teaching field. Making this decision has been ‘a constant battle,’ but it is one I am happy with and I look forward to the next dance.

Jaén, will you save the last dance for me?

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE that song! and so applicable! hope you're having a blast for these last (sob) few weeks of españa

    ReplyDelete